Posted on Leave a comment

Our IVF Journey

Derek and I had been on the waiting list for an information meeting with London Health Sciences Fertility Clinic. We had both been patients there and had put our plans for treatment on hold while we adopted. In August of 2013 we got a call to see if we could come the following Tuesday for an information seminar. Derek and I discussed it and decided there was no harm in hearing what they had to say after all we did want more children. We were pros at parenthood now after all 🙂

I didn’t get my period regularly so it seemed ominous when I got it the day before our meeting. The first thing they told us in the meeting was that we would need to call when I had my day one. We looked at each other and I sheepishly told the nurse that yesterday in fact had been my day one. Suddenly in a flurry of excitement we were shown all the drugs I would be taking and rushed about to speak to a therapist. We explained to the therapist that this was our hail Mary. We only plan to try once and if it doesn’t work we are still happy with the two beautiful children we have and that will be enough. I suppose that was a good enough answer, because she didn’t require to see us again before we began treatment that Friday.

We had to travel to London (about 75mins from our home) every other day with the children in tow for ultrasounds and blood work. We tried to explain as best as a 2 and 3 year old can understand. They seemed excited just to be a part of the whole thing.

I ate a pineapple every day and ate every single thing I read online would help with implantation. I did acupuncture washed with salt blends and rubbed my body with essential oil blends. I prayed and meditated and did my yoga. If someone told me it might help – I did it!

Well the drugs worked too well. I developed ovarian hyper stimulation, luckily they still harvested our eggs and still implanted. They said the fact that I had already developed mild hyper stimulation was likely a good sign for the viability of the pregnancy.

I remember watching the implantation on the big screen in the operating room. Two sparks of light flashed on the screen. Our two beautiful fertilized eggs, the beginning of life the two additions I knew in my heart would come to stay with us.

I was two weeks pregnant the next time we saw them on the ultrasound screen. They printed us a photo and Alice insisted that the doctor had done it wrong and I had an owl in there because the picture looked far more like an owl than a baby. This was also the day of my first admission to hospital. I was in terrible pain, could barely walk without fainting and felt like I was going to die.

Over the 2 months that followed I was admitted into hospital several times with congestive heart failure with an ovary the size of a watermelon. At the height of my severe hyper stimulation I had about 75lb of fluid in my body. I went through 2 painful draining procedures and even after that was still bedridden until Halloween. Halloween was my first outing! Thank God for online shopping for kids costumes.

I took the kids around one city block in the rain with the help of my brother. It was our kids first Halloween outing. They thought that it was the best holiday ever!

I wasn’t sure if I actually had morning sickness or if it was just the hyper stimulation making me ill but guess what I had morning sickness!!! Or should I say ALL day sickness! While I had been sick Derek mixed me some herbals and those helped me get out of bed in the morning. I kept my happy secret for a few more weeks, we were just bursting with joy but knew we should wait until we knew the pregnancy was viable. At 16 weeks we made it Facebook public and the out pouring of love for our new additions began.

Once I was well again I had a very wonderful sacred pregnancy. I loved every second of having these two amazing beings growing within me. We bought a fetal heart rate moniter and the first time Derek and I found the heart beats we recorded them and showed it to our family and friends. It was a special moment for our family. The toddlers were amazed to hear the little beings inside Mommy. All the sickness was worthwhile knowing these two new people were healthily growing.

At six months pregnant we went to Disney for a week. We met every character! The babies even got a kiss from Mickey and Minnie Mouse. On day three I was leaking a bit from all the walking so on our OBGYN’s direction my wonderful husband rented a wheelchair and was my charioteer for the days that followed. We had a blast!!!

If you have any questions about my experience with IVF or are experiencing ovarian hyper-stimulation I would love to talk to you about my experience so feel free to email me.

Leave a Reply